Attacks on Muslim leaders raise safety concern

Published On: November 24, 2018 08:36 AM NPT By: Amar Khadka

ITAHARI, Nov 24:  The police haven't been able to nab the killers of Mohammad Fida Hussain of Duhabi-9, Sonapur, even two days after the gruesome murder.

Several Indian criminal groups are active in the bordering areas of tarai. However, the family members of Fida claim that Nepali 'contract killers' murdered him.  Following the incident, a police team led by Superintendent of Police (SP) Mahasud Alam Khan and another team from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) have been investigating the case.

On September 20, Maulana Khursid Alam, 50, principal of Rairayan National School of Harinagar-2 was shot dead apparently by an Indian criminal group. 

The home ministry formed a five-member probe committee led by Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kishor Dahal to investigate the case. A CBI team, too, was deployed but the perpetrators are still roaming free.

The coordinator of the committee Dahal said, "We have already submitted the report to the government. 

Now, it's the job of the responsible authority to find the perpetrators and put them behind the bar." The attacks on Muslim leaders have compelled the Muslim community to question the effectiveness of security system.

"If people from the Muslim community continue to be targeted like this, then protecting our lives will be challenging," said Jamir Miya of Sonapur-9. 

According to him, such crimes will come to an end if the perpetrators are booked as soon as possible. 

Speaking on the heinous murder of his brother, Mehadi Hussain, Fida's brother, said, "I was doing quite well in politics and my brother was a great support. 

This was the reason why some people planned our murder some two years ago." 

Mehadi is the regional chief of Nepali Congress (NC) constituency no. 3 of Sunsari as well as the chief of Duhabi-9. 

As speculated by most people, Fida's political and business ties were the reason behind his murder. On Wednesday, Fida had gone for a morning walk with wife Asha Khatun. 

After walking for a kilometer, he asked his wife to return home and decided to walk alone. He had reached the bend at Jay Baba Brick Kiln when he was shot in the chest. Fida was the Supervisor of Jay Baba Brick Kiln as well as the helper of electricity distribution center of Nepal Electricity Authority, Itahari. 



Leave A Comment