Army into Simara Gold Cup semifinals

Published On: February 8, 2017 08:44 AM NPT By: Upendra Yadav

BARA, Feb 8: The semifinal line-up of the ongoing Ruslan 8th Simara Gold Cup has been completed after Tribhuvan Army Club became the latest club to book its place in the last four defeating Birgunj United Club 3-0 on Tuesday. Earlier, defending champion Bijay Youth Club, CMG Sankata and Himalayan Sherpa Club had advanced to semifinals. 

In the last quarterfinal match played at Simara stadium, Bara, Bal Krishna Shrestha, Santosh Tamang and Deepak Gurung scored one each goal for winning side Army. Departmental side will now take on Himalayan Sherpa in the second semifinal on Thursday while the first semifinal of the tournament will see Bijay Youth and Sankata on Wednesday. 

Army took lead in the 16th minute with Bal Krishna Shrestha’s goal utilizing Nawayug Shrestha’s pass before firing ball into opponent’s net. Santosh Tamang extended Army’s lead in the stoppage time of first half. Into the five minutes of the second half Army lost its first choice goalkeeper

Bikesh Kuthu who collided with his team mate Jitendra Karki while collecting the ball in the penalty box. Sunil Srivastav came on for Army as Bikesh’s replacement. After trailing down by two goals, Birgunj couldn’t create any pressure for departmental side which was studded with national players. In the 55th minute Army made 3-0 with the help of Deepak Gurung’s goal. 

Despite winning the match Army’s head coach Nabin Neupane said that his team still need to improve. “We missed too many chances so we must improve our finishing if we want to win the tournament,” said head coach Neupane. 

Meanwhile Birgunj’s head coach Sulav Jung Rana said that his players couldn’t cope the pressure against Army. “My team felt too much pressure against strong Army team. Players also lacked proper combination in the match,” said head coach Rana. Army’s Santosh Tamang was declared man-of-the-match and was rewarded with Rs 5000.

Leave A Comment