Wednesday, 16 June 2021 08:05 PM
July 14, 2019 01:54 PM NPT
By: Samriti Maharjan
KATHMANDU, July 14: Here are some useful tips for you during the floods and landslides:
- Keep monitoring your surroundings.
- You have to follow local television and radio stations.
- If a flash flood warning is issued for your area move to safer place immediately.
- Flash floods develop quickly. Do not wait until you see rising water.
- Get out of low areas subject to flooding.
- If you are driving, do not drive through flooded roadways.
- Assemble disaster supplies such as drinking water, clean containers, food that requires no refrigeration or cooking, cash, medications and first aid supplies.
- Also assemble clothing, toiletries, battery-powered radio, flashlights, and extra batteries.
- Keep safe your documents such as insurance papers, medical records, and bank account numbers.
- You have to be prepared to evacuate and identify places to go accordingly.
- Identify alternative travel routes that are not prone to flooding. Plan what to do with your pets.
- Fill your car’s gas tank.
- If told to leave, do so quickly.
- Review your Family Disaster Plan.
- Discuss flood plans with your family.
- Decide where you will meet if separated.
- Designate a contact person who can be reached if family members get separated. Make sure every family member has the contact information.
Protect your property
-Move valuables and furniture to higher levels.
-Move hazardous materials (such as paint, oil, pesticides, and cleaning supplies) to higher locations.
-Disconnect electrical appliances. Do not touch them if you are wet or standing in water.
-Bring outside possessions indoors or tie them down securely. This includes lawn furniture, garbage cans, and other movable objects.
-Seal vents to basements to prevent flooding.
(With inputs from http://www.susquehannafloodforecasting.org)
BAJURA, July 20: Most of the settlements in Bajura district are at high risk of landslides and flooding due to...
KATHMANDU, July 3: The Ministry of Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation has put all its bodies as well as locals in...
HANOI, Vietnam, Oct 13: Floods and landslides have killed at least 54 people in Vietnam and left another 39 missing since...