DANG, Dec 15: A massive fire which broke out in a house in Dang on Thursday evening claimed the lives of three children of the same family.
Three out of four children of Nawaraj Pun, who is currently in India for employment, were charred to death after their thatched-roof house caught fire at around 7 pm while their mother had gone outside.
Pun's son Krishna Bahadur, 7, as well as daughters Asmita, 5, and two years old Anju died in the incident at Guranse of Banglachuli Rural Municipality-8, according to DSP Ram Prasad Gharti of the District Police Office (DPO), Dang.
DSP Gharti informed Republica that the fire reportedly engulfed the house in no time killing the children who were fast asleep.
DSP Gharti, who reached the site on Friday, further stated that the bodies of the children were reduced to ashes as there were only bones remaining in the ground.
"There was nothing left of their body parts, which had turned into ashes," said DSP Gharti.
The house owner Pun had gone to Ghaziabad of India for employment three months ago. Since then, his wife Jiwana had been looking after their four children at home.
On Thursday, she had gone to a Shaman for the treatment of her one-year-old son Bibek, who was ill for a few days when the tragic incident took place.
She was on the way to the Shaman's house when she heard a loud blast and soon found a massive fire raging from above her house.
"We found out that it had just been five/six minutes that the mother had left the house when the fire started," said DSP Gharti.
Despite trying their best to douse the fire, the locals could not do so until Friday morning.
Only 12 households live in this remote settlement of Bangalachuli. According to DSP Gharti, only 12 women were residing in the whole village while the rest were children.
"Those women tried to douse the fire but in vain," he said. Three oxen were also killed in the fire.
The reason for the fire is still to be ascertained.