Probe committee formed to investigate suicide in custody

Published On: October 11, 2021 12:50 PM NPT By: Amar Khadka

ITAHARI, Oct 11: Hakiv Miya of Narasimha Rural Municipality-5, who was arrested a few days ago by the police on the charge of indecent behavior, ‘committed suicide’ by hanging himself inside the District Police Office (DPO).  Following the death of the detainee, Sunsari district had become tense as the relatives of the deceased gheraoed the DPO and attacked the police personnel, compelling them to fire a few tear gas canisters to disperse the crowd.

The family and relatives of Miya have accused the police of killing him. It has been revealed that he committed suicide at 3.30 AM on Sunday. There were 14 detainees in Hakiv's cell and they were monitored by five policemen led by a head constable,. However, when he committed suicide, neither the detainee nor the police knew about it. "From the CCTV footage, it is clear that he went to the toilet before committing suicide," said DSP Narendra Karki. "He committed suicide after coming from the toilet."

More than a dozen people, including police, have been injured in the clash. The protestors also vandalized a police van and blocked the east-west highway. The protest was called off after the district administration office said it would form a seven-member investigation committee and compensate the families of the deceased. A seven-member investigation committee has been formed under the leadership of Sunsari Assistant Chief District Officer Mahesh Pokhrel to investigate the incident.

Hakim's father Fhulo Mohammad Miya said that Hakiv had run away with a girl for the fourth time. “When he ran away with a girl for the fourth time, the girl's father telephoned me and warned me that he would confront my son," said Fhulo Mohammad. Hakiv was scheduled to be released on Sunday after the investigation was completed.

Meanwhile, the deceased’s relatives has set fire to the warehouse of the girl's family at Inaruwa-9. Dayandan Khatwe, 45, of Inaruwa-9, who went to control the fire, was also severely injured by the protesting youths. He is undergoing treatment at Inaruwa Hospital.

DSP Karki said that the protesters had tried to set fire to the girl's house but the situation was brought under control by the security personnel. 

Leave A Comment