Couple injured in fire dies

Published On: September 21, 2021 01:30 PM NPT By: Bhim Chapagain

KATHMANDU, Sept 21: Rom Khanal, 45, and his wife Durga, 43, of Ilam Municipality-5 living in Jhapa, died last night while undergoing treatment.

Their house caught fire on September 11 at around 5:30 PM when a cooking gas cylinder leaked and exploded. In the fire, the Khanal couple as well as Rom’s mother, Mangaladevi, 85, and son, Pankaj, 18, were injured.

Rom, who was critically injured and was undergoing treatment at Kirtipur Hospital in Kathmandu, died at 8:45 PM while his wife, Durga died at 11 PM, according to Durga’s brother, Khadananda Dhakal.

Pankaj who sustained minor injuries is undergoing treatment at the same hospital while Mangaladevi is undergoing treatment in Jhapa. Pooja, the couple’s daughter, managed to escape as she was out of the house at the time of the incident. The Khanal couple was taken to Biratnagar for treatment after being injured. However, they were rushed to Kathmandu on September 13 as treatment was not possible there.

Dhakal, said that around Rs 800,000 has been spent on the treatment of the Khanal couple. The house has been completely destroyed by fire. The family members had also appealed to everyone for help in treating the injured.



Leave A Comment