Non-implementation of Cabinet decision halts distribution of relief funds to families of COVID-19 victims
June 3, 2021 02:30 PM NPT
BIRENDRANAGAR, June 3: The decision to provide Rs 100,000 each to the families of deceased COVID-19 patients has not been implemented by the government of Karnali Province. The families of the victims of COVID-19 have not been able to get the relief fund as the necessary procedures and criteria were not set on time.
A cabinet meeting held on April 30 decided to provide Rs 100,000 each to the families of victims of COVID-19 in coordination with the provincial Ministry of Social Development. However, the family of the deceased are now facing problems after not receiving the relief fund.
According to Sudip Puri, a COVID self-help group activist, “Many of the poor families took debt from others for their treatment. If the relief fund was received, they could clear their debt,” he said. “Many people didn't even have money to perform the final rites of their deceased family members,” he added. He also stated that the government's decision is a mockery of its citizens in such a time of crisis. “The news of the relief fund had made many people happy but they have now become victims due to the non-implementation of the provincial government's decision,” Puri said.
According to the provincial Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law, the distribution of funds has been delayed due to the process of amending regulation on the distribution of relief to the victims. As stated by Krishna Bahadur Rokaya, information officer for the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law, the file has been received from the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Planning. “We have sent it to the cabinet and are awaiting instructions,” he said. “The distribution of the relief fund will start after the cabinet meeting makes its decision and the money is received from the finance ministry,” he added.
Similarly, the provincial government has not been able to provide the relief fund of Rs 100,000 to the families whose houses were destroyed in the flood last year. According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law, the decision was made by the cabinet to provide 1,751 families with the relief fund of Rs 100,000 each. It has been over a year since the flood victims received any relief funds which were promised to them by the government.