header banner

Govt initiates dialogue with armed outfits

alt=
By No Author
(Updated with correction)

KATHMANDU, March 30:
The government has started dialogues with several armed outfits in the wake of series of bomb blasts in the recent days carried out by some unknown groups operating mainly in Tarai-based and other districts.



Minister for Peace and Reconstruction Barshaman Pun said some of the outfits are in contact with the government. The minister however said he wouldn´t disclose the number and names of the groups for the obvious reasons sensitivity.[break]



He said the government has categorized the groups, which are involved in violent activities, into two groups -- political and criminal.



"The government will hold dialogues only with the outfits which are active for certain political goals but we won´t talk to the criminal groups," Pun told journalists at his ministry Tuesday. He said the government would tackle the criminal groups by stepping up strict security measures.



Pun also made public updated details about the progress made by the ministry in connection with providing compensation to the conflict-affected people and reconstruction of the physical infrastructure destroyed during the insurgency.



The minister said altogether 17,265 people lost their lives in the conflict and that the government provided compensations to 13,538 kin of the deceased. "In the current fiscal year, we plan to pay compensations to another 2,283 kin of the deceased," he said.

































































                         Progress on Reparation and Rehabilitation

 Cases

 Total

 Made reparation

 To receive this fiscal year

Remaining

 Deceased

 17265  13538  2283  1444
 Abduction

 1438  221  998  219
 Disappearance  1302  1197  105      -
 Disabled

 4305  1297  2500  508
 Loss in private property

 12657  1463  1350  9844
 Displaced

 78675  28000        -

 50675
 Orphaned

 121      -

 121       -




He said of the total 5,560 physical infrastructures destroyed in the insurgency, altogether 1,968 were reconstructed. So far, the government has spent Rs 3.7 billion and allocated Rs 2.44 billion in the current budget for reconstruction and compensation purposes.



The ministry said 44 minefields out of the total 53 have been cleared so far and the remaining will be cleared within the current fiscal year.



The ministry said it has formed peace committees at 900 villages in 72 of the total 75 districts.



Related story

5 Bollywood inspired outfits ideas for this festive season

Related Stories
PHOTO FEATURE/Video

Flaunting winter attires (Photo Feature)

winterrrr.jpg
SOCIETY

Police uncover trend of new armed groups in hills

Photo-rolpa-1.jpg
SOCIETY

Preparations for Sagarmatha Sambaad in full swing

Sagarmatha.jpg
POLITICS

NRNA Prez KC appointed member of Industry, Commerc...

Wi9w4IWG4NrHrUuCUe8mqnrEL0PFhAIcrqUgNphT.jpg
ECONOMY

KAICAIID hosting first ever event in Nepal

KAICAIID hosting first ever event in Nepal